Temporary Lab Technician (code 1085)
There is a 2-year Lab Technician position at the Sars Centre available in the research group of Dr. Pawel Burkhardt from March 2018. Work in this group focuses on the evolutionary origin of synapses and neurons, using choanoflagellates, sponges and ctenophores as main model systems. The Sars Centre belongs to the University of Bergen, and is partner of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL).
The person being appointed to this position will be integrated in running research projects and trained by and work in close association with the group members. Major tasks will include the biochemical and biophysical characterization of choanoflagellate synaptic protein homologs, crystallization of these proteins, imaging of live and fixed choanoflagellates using bright-field and confocal microscopy and day-to-day culturing of choanoflagellates. The employee reports to the group leader. Working language is English and Norwegian.
- The successful applicant must hold at least a relevant bachelor level science degree. Extensive and relevant practice combined with relevant formal training may compensate for insufficient formal education
- Routine experience in standard molecular and cellular biology techniques is required
- Competence in protein expression and protein purification using affinity and ion-exchange chromatography is required
- Practical experience with different imaging techniques, e.g. bright-field, DIC, phase and fluorescence confocal microscopy is expected
- Prior work with choanoflagellates (starting cultures from frozen stocks, cell density determination, culture maintenance, colony induction) is a major advantage
- The applicant must be able to communicate fluently (written and spoken) in English
- Personal skills that allow constructive interaction with the group members are important
- A challenging position with varied work tasks in an internationally acknowledged scientific environment
- Salary as Department Engineer ("avdelingsingeniør", kode 1085) from grade level 43-52, salary frame 22, based on a formal assessment of civil service seniority and qualifications. Currently equal to NOK 392.100-451.300. A higher salary may be offered to candidates with exceptional qualifications
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund (Statens pensjonskasse, SPK)
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
Your application in English must include:
- Application letter stating your motivation for applying to this position and why you feel you are a successful candidate for this position
- Overview of your education and work experience (CV)
- Certified copies of educational transcripts and other relevant documents
- Two references (names and contact information)
Send your application electronically via JobbNorge by clicking on the button “Apply for this job” - see here. Please note that applications will be assessed only with the information available in JobbNorge when the deadline expires. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline.
Applications by e-mail only will not be considered.
Application deadline: 21 February 2018
For further information about the position please contact Group Leader Pawel Burkhardt,tlf. +47 5558484357 / email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The State sector staff shall to the extent possible reflect the diversity in the population at large. The state personnel policies aim at a balanced age and gender composition and recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds or reduced work capacity are encouraged to apply for the position.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
More information about the appointment process here.