Research Technician/Senior Research Technician at the Sars Centre
(Forskingsteknikar/senior forskingsteknikar, code 1512/1513)
A temporary full-time position as Research Technician or Senior Research Technician, depending on qualifications, is now available in the animal facility shared by the Thompson, Chourrout and Glover research groups at the Sars Centre. The position has a desired start date of January 2018 and is initially available through December 2019 with the possibility of extension. The technician will work in the planktonic Oikopleura dioica culture facility (Appendicularia).
The main responsibilities will be to assist in the daily running of the facility together with another facility technician currently employed in the facility. Tasks include feeding and breeding of the animals, maintenance and culture of algae feed stocks, survey of water purification systems, periodic field work, as well as aiding the scientific staff in project-related collection and manipulation of animals. In addition to cleaning and maintenance of the existing culture system, contributing to the development and construction/installation of new equipment may be requested. Some week-end and holiday duties are required and will be compensated according to UiB regulations. The working languages are English and Norwegian.
- Prior experience with maintaining animal facilities, particularly with algae and/or zooplankton culture, is highly desirable
- Reliable work habits, cleanliness and the ability to interact productively with scientific personnel are essential requirements
- General interest in aquatic life and animal care is mandatory
- Ability to perform small construction (handy work) and minor electrical work would be advantageous
- The minimum formal requirement is a high school education
- The applicant must be able to communicate fluently (written and spoken) in English
- A challenging position with varied work tasks in an internationally acknowledged scientific environment
- Salary as Research Technician ("forskningsteknikar", code 1512) and Senior Research Technician ("senior forskningsteknikar", code 1513) from grade level 35, based on a formal assessment of civil service seniority and qualifications
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund (Statens pensjonskasse, SPK)
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IA enterprise)
- Good welfare benefits
Application in English or Norwegian must include:
- Application letter stating your motivation for the position and why you feel you are a good candidate for this position
- Overview of your education and work experience (CV)
- Certified copies of educational transcripts and other relevant documents
- Two references (names and contact information)
Please send your application via the link "Søk stillingen" referred to at the www.jobbNorge.no website and note that applications will be assessed only with the information available in JobbNorge when the deadline expires. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all relevant attachments are submitted by the deadline. Applications by e-mail will not be considered.
Application deadline: September 25, 2017
For further information about the position please contact Group Leader Eric Thompson, tel +47 55 58 43 46, email: email@example.com; or Group Leader Daniel Chourrout, tel +47 55 58 43 13, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
UiB is an organization that particularly must be adaptive to changing conditions and requirements. Consequently, the person employed must be prepared to see tasks changed.
The State sector staff shall to the extent possible reflect the diversity in the population at large. The state personnel policies aim at a balanced age and gender composition and recruit people with immigrant background. People with immigrant background or reduced work capacity are encouraged to apply for the position.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that at any given time apply to the position.